Private Fleet Editor,
Fleet Owner Magazine
President & CEO, NPTC
Recognition for those drivers who display winning attitudes, habits.
Last year, in conjunction with the National Safety Conference, NPTC recognized 24 of the nation’s top private fleet drivers as the fourth class of NPTC’s National Driver All-Stars. The program was sponsored by International Truck/Navistar Inc.
These drivers embody all that’s right in our profession. They display the characteristics, skills and attitudes that are the heart of what enables the private fleet to continue to deliver exceptional levels of customer service. They are ambassadors, not only for their company but for the entire private fleet community. Following are some of their winning competencies:
– Each displays great pride in all facets of their life. Whether it’s the way they keep their truck clean, the way they dress, the way they speak, or the way they service the customer, they respect themselves and all others.
– Each operates with a “Golden Rule” mentality, i.e., they treat others the way they want to be treated.
– They are patient—seeking first to understand their customer whether that customer is external, internal or the customer of their customer. They remain cool, calm and collected in the face of often stressful conditions.
– Each is committed to excellence. They understand that doing a good job doesn’t start and stop at the company gates; it’s a part of everything they do both on and off the job.
– They comport themselves with class and exude optimism. They all display great confidence in their ability to help solve customer problems—often before it becomes a problem.
– They work hard. Each volunteers for extra assignments, helps conduct training, and helps coach other drivers. They also volunteer their time outside the truck cab in numerous company-related leadership roles and/or community improvement projects.
– For them, truck driving is not a job. It’s a passion. But each views what they do as more than simply driving a truck. They are genuinely excited about the opportunity to serve the customer.
– They commit themselves to daily renewal, continuous learning, healthy living and self-improvement.
– Despite their myriad talents and abilities, they display great humility. They recognize and are grateful for the help of others—their family, their faith community, and their coworkers.
NPTC is now accepting applications for this year’s National Driver All-Stars. The award recognizes the top drivers of NPTC member companies based on how they perform against their own internal customer service, safety and compliance metrics.
Each NPTC member is eligible to nominate one driver. Applicants must be a regularly employed, full-time, leased, or dedicated driver and actively driving for the 12-month period beginning June 1, 2012, through May 31, 2013.
To learn more about the program, or to nominate one of your drivers for the award, please visit our website at www.nptc.org.